Sunday, August 19, 2012

Color Theory

This past week I introduced and reviewed color theory with most of my classes.  Kindergarten learned to mix primary colors to make secondary colors.  We began by reading "Chameleons Crazy Colors".  
Then we watercolor painted Chameleons.  The students followed me step-by-step only using primary colors to overlap and create new colors.


First Grade: Color Wheels
    My First Graders this week practiced mixing their secondary colors to create a color wheel.



Second Grade: Spectrum Color Fish 
   I began by reviewing colors and then introduced Color Spectrum.  The students learned how to create a spectrum pattern inside a shape.
Students will complete these over the next few weeks.

Third Grade: Tertiary Colors
       This week Third Grade was introduced to Tertiary Colors.  Red-Orange, Yellow-Orange, Blue-Green, Yellow-Green, Red-Violet, Blue-Violet; Students mixed their colors to create a color wheel.


Fourth Grade: Complementary Color 
        Fourth Grade learned how to identify complementary colors.  We colored a worksheet that I created to help them remember for the next art project which we will use Complementary Colors.

Fifth Grade: Primary Color Paintings
      I reviewed Primary and Secondary Colors with my Fifth Graders then we did a practice drawing for which we will begin a painting next week.  Students had to draw 1 circle, 1 triangle, and 1 square or rectangle on their paper.   Then using only primary colored artstix  they had to blend colors across each shape and background.  Next week we will create paintings blending the paints to create colors.



I will post the final products in the upcoming weeks as we complete them.





No comments:

Post a Comment